Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Doctor on Romans 4:23-25

"That is the final word-Abraham did not stagger at the greatness of the promise. The devil will come to you, and voices within you will say, 'How can I possibly say a thing like that? Look at this life which I am entering as seen in the Sermon on the Mount, the lives of saints, and the life of Jesus Christ. I am so weak, I am constantly falling- how can I?' You must just say, 'I believe this word of the resurrection, I believe the old word spoken unto Abraham. That man was dead, as it were, physically, and so was Sarah's womb. But God told him that they would have a child. He believed God, and I believe God. I believe that though I am weak and helpless and hopeless and vile and without strength, I believe this God of the resurrection, this God who can "bring to life" the things that are not, "who quickeneth the dead and calleth those things which be not as though they were". I believe He can call into life within me a new man and a new nature and give me strength and power.' That is Christian faith That is justifying faith. It is faith that enables the believer to dare to believe on the bare word of God, that one day
he will be 'faultless and blameless, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing'. Though this faith he can believe 'that which hath begun a good work in us will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ'(Philippians 1:6), and can stand confidently and defy everybody and everything Possessing it he not longer fears death and the grave. Indeed, he no longer fears the final judgment because he knows that he has 'passed from judgment into life' in Christ Jesus." -D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Romans 3:20-4:25, p249.

No comments:

Unreached People Groups